Choose from the drop down menu on the bottom right of this page for news articles from the following categories:
- News from the Park and the Friends
- Raffle Winners
Click on "FULL STORY... " at the bottom of the article preview to see the entire article.
Click on "BACK TO NEWS" to return to the archives. Happy reading!
Black Bears Live Throughout Ontario
So when two appeared in the Park
last week, there was a surprising level of excitement, so much so they left
after a couple of days.
While the chances of you seeing or encountering a black bear are low, it is best you be prepared just in case.
- Know how to prevent, recognize and handle an encounter with a black bear
- Do not approach the bear. Slowly back away while watching the bear and wait for it to leave.
- Never intentionally feed a bear. You could get injured. You also spoil the bear. Bears quickly learn to expect human food and are more likely to approach people than wild bears.
- When camping make sure you are careful with your garbage and food.
Check out the Bear Wise site at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Bearwise/index.html for lots of advice and information