If you are a visitor to Presqu’ile, your experience has been improved through the work of the Friends. Our organization has contributed over $5 million worth of funds and volunteer hours to the park since 1988. While the list of our completed projects is extensive, here are some accomplishments that impact your visit. We could not have completed these projects without the support of other organizations and our dedicated volunteers!
Do you use the beach or picnic facilities?
- Placed a beach accessibility mat at Beach 1 in cooperation with the Municipality of Brighton, Ontario Parks, and the Parrott Foundation
- Constructed accessibility boardwalks at washroom facilities
- Built picnic tables to replace those lost to flooding
Are you a trail user?
- Funded the replacement of the Marsh Boardwalk through fundraising and donations ($320,000.) Our volunteer team did all the construction (10,000 hours)
- Built the boardwalks on Jobes’ Woods Trail ($90,000), improving accessibility for users of all abilities. Work was carried out by our volunteer builders (5,000 hours)
- Installed boardwalks over wet areas along the Newcastle, Pioneer, and Owen Point trails
Do you enjoy wildlife viewing?
- Contributed to the funding for the research behind and building of wildlife tunnels and turtle fencing ($100,000) along with Brighton Rotary Club, Ontario Parks, Ministry of Natural Resources and Laurentian University
- Removed Scot’s Pine from the panne habitat ($25,000). We continue to remove invasive plant species as well as collect native tree seeds, grow seedlings, and plant them in the park.
- Built the viewing decks at Calf Pasture, Lighthouse Point, and the Camp Office
Do you participate in education activities?
- Funded half the cost of the Lighthouse Interpretive Centre ($500,000)
- Paid the salary of interpretive staff at the visitor centres and for outreach programs
- Constructed a new stage at the amphitheatre
We are pleased to support Presqu’ile Provincial Park and its staff and provide visitors with an enhanced experience. Please demonstrate your appreciation for the contributions from donors, volunteers, and park staff by
- Using facilities properly
- Cleaning up after yourself
- Treating other park users with kindness
- Not harming or removing wildlife, plants, and natural objects from the park