Thousands of Loyalists arrived in the Bay of Quinte
Governor John Graves Simcoe orders a survey of Presqu'ile:
"an excellent harbour"
Obadiah and Mary Simpson are the first settlers
in this area
"Plan of Newcastle in the Home District"
drawn by Alexander Aiken.
An act was passed to build a District Town named
Newcastle at Presqu'ile.
On its way to the first trail at the Newcastle courthouse,
the Speedy sinks.
Location of the district capital of Newcastle moved
to Cobourg from Presqu'ile
Presqu'ile used as shelter along the military supply
route in the War of 1812.
Construction of Presqu'ile's lighthouse completed.
Lighthouse keepers residence was built.
Construction of the Murray Canal completed, linking
Presqu'ile Bay to the Trent-Severn Waterway.
Presqu'ile's lighthouse covered in planks and shingles
to protect the stonework.
The Presqu'ile Summer Hotel opened at Calf Pasture.
A fog station, with a steam-powered foghorn, was
built beside the lighthouse.
Most of Presqu'ile, except the lighthouse area,
was transferred from federal to provincial jurisdiction.
Presqu'ile Park Act was passed, allowing a private
commission to run the park.
Presqu'ile Park Commission purchases four farms,
constructs new roads and a golf course in the park.
Lighthouse was electrified
Fog station dismantled.
Lighthouse converted to fully automatic operation.
Provincial Parks Act was introduced, bringing all
parks under a single authority.
Presqu'ile's first Park Superintendent was appointed.
1957: Presqu'ile's nature interpretation program
Calf Pasture was purchased by the park.
The Lighthouse Interpretive Centre is opened.
to the top of the page